Civic and social responsibilities are key components in our lives.
Public Issues is designed to actively connect members with effective projects and activities relating to civic engagement. This program focuses on the following areas:
- Educate club members and local communities on the rights and responsibilities of citizenship
- Use resources, including GFWC Resolutions, to increase patriotism, pride in heritage, and active community involvement
- Encourage active involvement in issues that affect the world around you
- Educate club members and local communities on needs of military families
Advocate for legislation that supports active and veteran military personnel and their families
Support military personnel and veterans returning to community living
- Educate club members and local communities on disaster readiness, recovery, and relief
- Work with law enforcement agencies and first responders to increase public awareness
- Develop community programs and coalitions to address disaster recovery and relief
- Educate club members and local communities on home, road, and Internet safety
- Provide programs, tools, and training
- Create safer homes and communities through awareness
Did You Know…
In 1919, under the direction of the YMCA, GFWC created the Overseas Service Unit and sent 100 young women to Europe to assist wounded soldiers in the aftermath of World War I.