Over $120,000 Awarded to Local 501c3 Organizations
JUNE 4, 2019 CLEARWATER, FL – GFWC North Pinellas Woman’s Club (NPWC) announced its 2019 grant and scholarship winners, an impressive roster of 22 deserving local charities and four scholarship recipients.
Each year, the GFWC North Pinellas Woman’s Club (NPWC) Foundation awards grants to local nonprofit organizations that sponsor humanitarian and community improvement projects. This year’s recipients include a $1000 grant to Autism Inspired for specialized equipment for its autism camp; a $1000 grant to Eckerd Youth Alternatives for undergarments for foster children; a $500 grant to Days for Girls for fabric and supplies and a $500 grant to Harbor Dish for a refrigerator for its community café.
Since the club’s founding in 2003, the GFWC North Pinellas Woman’s Club Foundation Inc. has provided assistance to community nonprofit organizations and projects through volunteerism and philanthropy. In the past six years, club members have volunteered over 140,000 hours, contributed nearly $350,000 of in-kind donations to community charities and donated over $120,000 for local grants and scholarships.
“GFWC North Pinellas Woman’s Club is very honored to support these worthy organizations that are so dedicated to serving our residents and bettering our community,” said Laura Connelly, president. “We invite any non-profit, 501c3 organization to step forward to apply for a grant next year.”
To benefit even more local charities in the coming year, the club hosts a popular holiday market every November. Christmas Under the Oaks is the club’s largest fundraiser of the year, attracting thousands of holiday shoppers. Net proceeds are redirected to our community. The 43rd Holiday Market will be held Sunday, November 10 at St. Petersburg College Clearwater campus.
The roster of 2019 GFWC NPWC Grant Winners:
• Autism Inspired – specialized equipment for autism camp $1000
• Eckerd Youth Alternatives – undergarments for foster children $1000
• Sleep in Heavenly Peace – materials to make beds for needy children $1000
• Aging & Wellness Institute – nutrition program $500
• Birds in Helping Hands – outdoor bird pen enclosure $500
• Church & Community Outreach – food pantry $500
• Days for Girls – fabric & supplies $500
• Gathering of Women – project expenses $500
• Habitat for Humanity – building supplies $500
• Harbor Dish – refrigerator $500
• Haven – diapers & baby wipes $500
• InterCultural Advocacy Institute – English language program $500
• Lutheran Services of Florida – healthy snacks for foster program $500
• Mattie Williams Neighborhood Family Center – literacy program $500
• Peace Café – food for serving homeless/food needy people $500
• Pinellas Technical College – refugee student course supplies $500
• Ready for Life – program for teens aging out of foster care $500
• Refugee & Migrant Woman’s Initiative – community program $500
• Ryan’s Case for Smiles – fabric for hospitalized children’s pillowcases $500
• Sewing Hope – fabric for blankets given to foster children $500
• Whispering Souls African American Cemetery – fence gate $500
• Wounded Warriors Abilities Ranch – headquarters & memorial garden $500
In addition, four scholarships were awarded:
- Pinellas Education Foundation Take Stock in Children Scholarship $1000
- Women on the Way St. Petersburg College Scholarship $1000
- Arts 4 All Scholarships $320
- Community Service Award for Countryside High School Senior $200
About the GFWC North Pinellas Woman’s Club
GFWC North Pinellas Woman’s Club is an all-volunteer, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization united in our passion to positively impact lives in Pinellas County. Members are very active in a variety of community improvement projects and strive to address all aspects of the community, including foster children, the homeless, school systems, civic duties and social responsibilities, and environmental issues. Visit our website www.gfwcnpwc.org to see to see the impact we’ve made.
About the General Federation of Women’s Clubs
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is a unifying force, bringing together local women’s clubs, with members dedicated to strengthening their communities and enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. With over 10,000 members in Florida and over 80,000 members worldwide, GFWC members are community leaders who work locally to create global change by supporting the arts, preserving natural resources, advancing education, promoting healthy lifestyles, encouraging civic involvement, and working toward world peace and understanding.